Monday, December 31, 2018

Goodbye 2018... Hello New Year!


What, another year gone by?! It doesn't seem possible, but here we are.

Writing-wise, the high point of 2018 was taking part in NaNoWriMo for the first time. I've always been a bit of a skeptic about writing a 50,000 word novel in a month--especially a month as hectic as November. But, with the help of a couple of amigos, proving once again that writing is all about camaraderie, I made it to the finish line with a dozen words to spare.

What I learned was that I can actually carve out daily writing time. It doesn't hurt that NaNo has an amazing website that offers one all sorts of blandishments: badges for hitting writing milestones, a daily tracker, and the chance of calling oneself a "winner" in the end (and I have the t-shirt to prove it.) The novel I was writing still isn't finished, but I am actually quite happy with it. Writing so speedily unnerved my inner critic--you know, the one who's always searching for the proper word. (The outer critic, The Don, was just happy to see my fingers flying over the keyboard.) Right now, if you asked me if I'd do NaNo again, I'd give a resounding "YES!"

I'm not a big one for 'resolutions,' but I am aware of how meager my blogging has been this year. Not only did Project Mayhem shut its doors, but I found that reading middle grade and writing about it on anything close to a schedule proved difficult. I'm not sure if it's age, or just the general climate. So many blogs have come and gone, and there's much less energy than there used to be. However, I pledge to do a better job on Middle Grade Mafioso--as well as a better job visiting other blogs. If we're all still here, we must be doing something right. Right?

Wishing all of you a very Happy New Year--the last year of the Teens! May 2019 be creative and courageous for us all.

Some Trivia ---

Anniversaries in 2019:

  • 50th anniversary of the Moon Landing (July 20)
  • 50th anniversary of Woodstock (August 15-18)
  • 50th anniversary of Stonewall (June 28th)
  • 75th anniversary of D-Day (June 6)
  • 100th anniversary of Prohibition (January 16)
Milestones in 2019:
  • Brexit (March 29)
  • Abdication of Japan's Emperor (April 30)
  • Record number of women in Congress (commencing January 3)

6 comments:

  1. Some years are like that! I found it helpful to concentrate on one thing- in my case, reading and writing reviews. Kept me going a bit longer. Here's to a better 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on NaNoWriMo. I've never tried it, but I'm not dead yet. Happy New Year to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome you completed NaNoWrite. I'm trying to carve more writing time out too. Hope you blog more this year. It's a great way for us all to stay connected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing NaNoWriMo. I have never managed to do that but maybe one day... I'm looking forward to your reviews in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What?? Project Mayhem shut its doors?? First I'm hearing of it (just like not knowing Erin Entrada Kelly won the Newbery until this past November!). What a shame. Sometimes I feel like I'll never catch up to the year and a third I missed.

    Congrats on "winning" NaNoWriMo! I never tried it, but my older son has completed it twice. He admitted when he was getting behind he'd sometimes write "blah blah blah blah" to gain a few words, or "Something exciting needs to go here". You do what you can, I guess. I admire you for it. And I'll be happy to see you around here more.

    ReplyDelete

Youse got something to say? Well, say it then. (The Don and I will shoot you... a personal reply, that is. But if we can't find your e-mail, we'll just reply in the comment box.)